Happy Thanksgiving! I’m so overwhelmed by the many things God has blessed me with.
I sat down recently and made a list of 50 things that make me happy. (I shamelessly stole this idea from another blogger, because I think it is such a good idea.)
Here’s my list in no particular order whatsoever:
1. The smell of a burning wood fire in the autumn.
2. Starting a new book by an author I like.
3. Seeing an old couple holding hands
4. A good story.
5. Sitting around the dinner table laughing with friends.
6. That exhilarating feeling I get after exercising.
7. A new idea that kidnaps my mind for hours.
8. Unexpected compliments.
9. Seeing the people I love smiling.
11. A long email from a friend.
12. Riding 20 miles through the back roads of Texas on my bike while listening to an audio book.
13. Learning something new.
14. Asking people I admire questions.
15. Warm food and a warm blanket on a cold night.
16. Alone time.
17. Playing the piano.
18. Watching the waves crash on the beach.
19. Playing golf with friends.
20. Listening to great music.
22. Feeling I’ve accomplished something.
21. Making people laugh.
23. Watching a sunset.
24. Feeling that I matter.
25. Holidays with family.
26. Watching people who are in love.
27. Feeling inspired.
28. Getting new stamps in my passport.
29. When the waitress at my favorite restaurant knows who I am and what I want without asking.
30. Laughing uncontrollably.
31. Looking around and realizing how blessed I am.
32. Hearing a great speaker.
33. When I write something and it actually comes out on paper the way it was in my head.
34. My laptop.
35. Deep, engaging conversations.
36. The smell of freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies.
37. My family.
38. Guy time with my dad.
39. Chinese food.
41. Learning something I’ve never noticed before from a Bible story.
42. Working on my novel.
43. Watching someone I love pray.
44. Making someone’s day.
45. Learning about people and what makes them tick.
46. Gazing up at millions of bright stars and galaxies on a clear night.
47. Fruit pizza.
48. Talent. Watching people who are good at what they do is just fun.
49. Healthy food that actually tastes good.
50. Knowing God loves me.
After completing this list, I realized two things. The first was that it surprised me how much thinking about the things that make me happy…made me happy! Intentionally racking my brain for the things that bring me joy put me in a terrific mood and just made me so…well, happy.
The second was I realized how much of the happiness in my life comes from simple things. It’s the little things that bring joy. The sunsets and cookies and laughter. Not the expensive toys or latest gadgets.
I can’t think of anything I could recommend more to you this Thanksgiving, than to sit down today and make a list of your own. It will flood your heart with thankfulness. You won’t regret it.
What’s on YOUR list? Leave a comment and let me know!